Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Tiffany's Birthday

This coming weekend I am making a wedding cake. For the first time. Ever. My cousin got married a few months ago and his wife just had their baby and so we're throwing them a reception/baby shower to celebrate. I love decorating cakes, so I offered to make their wedding cake. Hello?! As if I know anything about wedding cakes. Anyways, I wanted to practice different recipes and I thought I'd even try fondant (what a complete mess that is). So this past week I baked a couple of cakes and for my friend's birthday I figured I'd put the cakes together and put fondant over it...just to practice. Hours later and brown food coloring that wouldn't get darker than a caramel color I had myself a pretty cute cake. Not bad for my first attempt. Hopefully the wedding cake goes even better on Saturday. Wish me luck!

The birthday girl and me.


I called this the pink and poo brown star cake!

7 comments:

Heather said...

Cute cake! I've made a few fondant cakes too, A LOT of work! Good for ya. Can't wait to see ya soon!

RC said...

I think it's very cute, great job for your first try, I can't wait to see what you come up with for the wedding cake. I know it will be awesome, and I know they will love it.

Kristina P. said...

Wow, it looks great! I've seen some that look really lumpy, but yours is nice and smooth.

Good luck!

Kim said...

I love the cake so cute! Even in poo brown. My attempt at fondant was... well I just don't like to talk about it. So that is awesome for your first attempt!

The Lyon Den said...

Jen I love the cake. Even if the stars do look the color of poo. Thanks again for letting Nate, Sophie and I stay the night. We appreciate it. We love you guys!

Cowgirl at Heart said...

Looks good to me! Can't wait to see you this weekend...we are really looking forward to it!

HammondFam said...

Wow, so impressed!! Good luck, and you better post some pics of the wedding cake!!