Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Cha-Cha-Cha-Changes!

The after-math of my poor decision making:



In May of 2007 I was looking for new hairstyles on the internet when I came across a super cute short haircut. The bangs were very short and the hair was kind of wavy and tossled and in between the chin and the shoulders. I printed it out and decided that one day, when I was brave enough, I was going to cut my hair in a similar fashion. I STILL have that picture and with my cutting of the hair a few months ago, I've been working up the courage to go even bolder. So last week I decided that it's time for a cut and why not go bold? Since I'll be in Vegas this Friday, I figured I can make an appointment and toughen up and just do it. 

I don't know if it was the endorphins from working out, or if I became possessed, but this morning I decided that Friday was too far away. I was running late for work and didn't even think twice. I grabbed a pair of scissors and started cutting! Yes, that's right. A woman with NO hair cutting experience, a woman who has never even trimmed her own hair before, a woman who has saved a picture for nearly 20 months just to work up the courage decided to put a pair of scissors in her hands WHEN she was running late and cut her hair. The logic just isn't there. I'm still a bit baffled. 

Needless to say, it didn't turn out quite like I was hoping. I kind of remind myself of Jim Carey in Dumb and Dumber (I think that's the one where he has a horrible bowl cut). I think I like the concept of bangs...the execution just wasn't quite there. I cut a little too much. Okay, a LOT too much. I think I would like them much better if they were half an inch longer, half as thin, and didn't wrap around half my head. Seriously. They wrap half my head (Jim Carey in Dumb and Dumber). I messed with my hair for 10 minutes to get it to look half way decent in the picture below...and it's dark. 



People at work just didn't know what to say. One girl said she liked it. But then a couple of hours later she told me that it makes me look older. The funny part is she thought she was giving me a compliment! Ha! That's only a compliment when you're 17! Nobody in there 30's wants to look older. 

8 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I actually really like it! Honestly! I think it looks chic. The bangs are a bit short, but I think once they grow out, they will look perfect.

RC said...

Tre' Chic! I think it looks very sophisticated, classy/sassy, (posh) you look like you should be standing in times square hailing a cab. I like it on you, it suits you. Plus it is a great style for showing off earings. (start dropping hints to the hubby, it's not to late for christmas shopping)

Ummm, by the way, I meant your husband, not mine, just in case you didn't get that. :)

Heather said...

I LOVE YOU!

So, two days ago, i was sitting at my computer playing with those virtual hair make-oversites, because I too, decided i needed bangs.

I haven't braved doing it yet though! You rock! And you could be bald and still be beautiful!!!

Hollie said...

You are AWESOME!!! First I love the way you told the story, it cracked me up (sorry to laugh at your hair's expense). Second, kudos on being so brave and posting a picture. I wasn't brave enough to do that after I went edward scissorhands on my hair.

Okay, so here's the truth because that's all I ever wanted anyone to tell me. I didn't want people to lie and convince me that it looked good so then I could walk around looking like a fool!

I REALLY love you with bangs. I think you look way cute. And I actually think the length and desnity are perfect (short bangs are totally in right now). They do wrap around a little bit far on the side but you don't really even notice that unless you're looking for it. All in all I am impressed. You did a pretty good job for your first hair cutting experience.

I definitely agree with Heather though, you could be bald and still be beautiful. Then we could call you "the bald & the beautiful". I know, I'm probably the only one who would think that's funny. =)

Hollie said...

Oops, that's supposed to be density not desnity! sorry

RC said...

The bald and the beautiful, that is funny.

I forgot to add to my comment, that I too like you with bangs, it really shows off those beautiful eyes of yours.

Love ya,

Rawson Family said...

Jennifer what were you thinking cutting your hair while in a hurry for work that so sounds like something that I would do not you. then I go to my neighbor and have her fix it, because it has never turned out right. it does look cute and you do look really good with bangs.

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

I think it looks really adorable!!