Friday, July 31, 2009

Trapped

Do you ever have moments when you feel stuck?

Stuck in a job because the pay is good, or it's close to home, or the hours are flexible so you can manage your family life better. You don't love what you're doing, but there are certain aspects of the job that you can't give up and you're afraid that nobody else will be as accommodating?

Do you ever feel stuck at home because of your kids and/or husband? Not that you don't love them, but they don't allow you to explore the potential you.

Do you ever feel limited by your finances to really achieve your dreams? Can't take that vacation, buy your dream home/car/boat/(fill in the blank here). This also includes doing the job that you really want because maybe it doesn't pay enough. Or you can't start your own business because you don't have enough capital.

Do you ever feel stuck in the town you're in? Again, it might be a great place for many different reasons, but maybe it doesn't provide very many opportunities to help you achieve your full potential. Ever want to take classes, get a new job, or run a particular errand, but the town you're in doesn't have what you're looking for?

Do you ever feel trapped by your own life?




...Ya, neither do I.

9 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I think I could have written this! I've actually developed a bit of claustrophobia recently, and I think it has to do with feeling a bit trapped at work. The schedule change has been really, really difficult on me!

Hollie said...

That last line cracks me up because the whole time I was reading this I was thinking that in my comment I was going to write "no, never! why do you ask?"
Great minds...

My REAL answer is YES, YES, YES & YES! I have been thinking about this so much lately. Of course I love my family and wouldn't change much, but I definitely feel as though I'm not living up to my potential. The previous comment mentions feeling claustrophobic and I think that's a perfect description for how I feel some times. I feel stagnant, like I'm living a stale life. I really want to go back to school, I just don't know how to make that happen right now. I need to figure out how to get "un-stuck"!

RC said...

How about a career change?

You could be the next "Miss Cleo"!

Because you seem to have read my mind.

Love Ya,

Rawson Family said...

I feel like I could cut and past Hollies claustrophobic comment into how I am feeling. I get this way every Summer, because it's just me and the kids 90% of the time, every day and Joe is at work. It's hard having him there most of the winter and then gone all summer.

Stephanie Faris said...

YES! I feel this way all the time. But often I look around and think how much worse things could be, especially when I see so many people unemployed. I just will be happy once this economy turns around so more of us will have options.

Erin said...

You know I have!! We just had this conversation the other day!!! At least we have choices though! :)

~Sandy said...

Yes all the time!!!!!!!!!! You have a great blog and congratulations on that new camera:)

HeatherOz said...

I'm trapped! Somebody get me out of here! Oh, just kidding! I used to live in UT, in AZ now. Where did you live in UT?
Heather-blog hoppin

I decided to check 50 blogs toward the bottom of the mcklinky blog hop this week! Nice to find ya! My link is #270

Erin @ Sprouted In the Kitchen said...

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for visiting my little cooking/food blog! As for your sprouting...actually, it so happens that my actual last name *is* Sprout. And the blog is pretty vegetable-centric, being that I'm a big vegetable eater (but not a vegetarian). So "Sprouted" worked on both ends. It's also the name of my editing/writing/design business, so three-for-one deal!

Ahem. The wheat. I have not sprouted wheat, specifically, but have had luck sprouting other things; the most common of those being beans and peas, for use in salads, stir fries, yada yada. I have bought sprouted wheat pastas and breads, but haven't looked into sprouting wheat myself. But I'm going to do a bit of research and get back to you.

As for my loss, I was actually due in about a week, but our first baby came at 21 weeks; since you're probably aware that that's way too early to survive outside of the womb, we have now buried our first child. It's been a huge blow and one that at least I'm still working through. I understand that time does wonders, though. I hope you find the same for yourself and your loss--if your loss is something like mine, I'd be happy to listen if I can.